Starting a New Business with Michael Stelzner
Even if you have a successful business or career, you still can be drawn to start something new in your midlife.
I’m proud to have Mike Stelzner as my very first guest on the Late Starters Club podcast. Mike has been one of the most influential people on my “social media” career and I’m glad to call him a friend.
Michael Stelzner is the founder of Social Media Examiner, author of the books Launch and Writing White Papers, and the man behind Social Media Marketing World—the industry’s largest conference. He’s also the host of the Social Media Marketing podcast, the Crypto Business podcast, and he’s the founder of the Social Media Marketing Society.
In today’s episode, we dive into why he started the Crypto Business Podcast, obstacles to launching the Web3 event, and how he weathers the ups and downs of entrepreneurship.
Here is a glimpse at this episode:
- [3:50] Mike talks about his interest in web3 and why he decided to start a crypto business podcast
- [6:48] Mike discusses the business model that helped him to build Social Media Examiner and what he is repeating with the Crytpo Business Podcast
- [9:56] Mike tells us that content can be the key to anyone’s success and shows us how that can work in any business
- [11:44] If you are nervous about creating content because you don’t believe you are an expert, Mike explains how to leverage other people to create the content that will attract your audience
- [13:19] Mike talks about the obstacles he’s come up against in his latest project, The Crypto Business Podcast. For example, not having anyone in the industry know who you are and having your audience lose interest in the topic.
- [19:30] Mike tells us how he works through that disappointment of things not going exactly as planned.
- [21:54] When things have been unexpected Mike has learned that he needs to remind himself that “I still believe in this thing. I still believe it’s the future. It’s not easy to do. Especially when you have another business that you’re running and all these other initiatives that are going on. It’s never fun to like, feel like a failure. And I keep reminding myself, no, I’m not a failure. I just haven’t achieved the vision yet that I’ve set out for myself.”
- [23:29] Throughout this whole experience Mike tells us how he is going to take the lessons he’s learned and fuel them back into other areas of his business.
- [24:47] If Mike could go back in time and tell himself something what would it be???
- [27:09] What do people assume about Mike, that is wrong?
- [28:32] Mike’s favorite quote is “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” Albert Einstein. Find out why.
Read the transcript HERE
Watch the Interview with Mike Stelzner
Links Mentioned in this Episode:
- Social Media Examiner
- Crypto Business Podcast
- Social Media Marketing World
- Crypto Business Conference
Catch the other episodes:
Connect with Mike!
- Twitter: @Mike_Stelzner
- Instagram: Stelzner
Another quick fun reference
Mike talked about the cartoon showing the person who quits right before success. Here it is.
Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below!