In today’s episode of Quick Fix Friday, we’re going to talk about how to write a joke. Joke writing can come in handy, not only if you’re a comedian, but for speakers or anyone doing a presentation. Everyone loves a little humor in a presentation. What you might not know is that there is a structure to getting a good joke right….so lets take a look.
The basic joke has three elements and only two of them are really required.
- The setup – which is talking about the situation or what people need to know about the joke in order to get it.
- The punchline – typically something unexpected that happens and is the funny part.
- The tag (optional) – is typically an extra punchline, and sometimes it can be the funniest part.
- The callback (optional) – which could be another joke later that references an earlier joke.
Some of the basic tips for writing a good joke:
- Keep it really short
- The setup should only contain what is truly necessary for someone to understand the joke
- If you have a funny word that’s in the joke, try and put the funniest word at the end of the joke
- If you’re going to have a list, three things are the best number for a list, and you can throw something funny and unexpected as the third item on the list
- Write every single day!!
Let’s dive in.
Catch up on the interview and my top takeaways in these other episodes:
- Episode 25: Interview with Stephanie McHugh
- Episode 26: 3 Tips to Get Started in Standup Comedy – Top Takeaways from Stephanie McHugh
Resources Mentioned in the Episode
Read The Transcript Here
Have you tried Facebook and Instagram ads and they haven’t worked for you? Or are you not sure how to set your campaigns up in the right way? Or maybe you’ve gotten your ads started and they’re not getting the results you want. If any of these sound familiar, then you need to join me for my six-week Profitable Ads done with you workshops starting soon. During this workshop, we will meet for six weeks with live training where I will help you get your ads set up in the right way and make sure you are getting the results you want so that you’ve got profitable ads going forward. You’ll get worksheets, templates, recordings, and plenty of time for Q&A with me. Hope to see you at the workshop. Get all the details at www.andreavahl.com/profitableads